Hello fellow creators! I'm Lorna, the owner and designer of Luna Ray Jewellery, a handmade jewellery business that's turning three years old very soon! In this time, I've learned a tremendous amount through trial and error. There have been many wins, but I've also faced a lot of challenges that I'd love to share with you to help you on your own small business journey through these posts, newsletters and more to come!
So, thinking about diving into the world of your own small handmade business? Have something in mind but not sure where to start? Or maybe there’s a voice inside your head holding you back? As a small business owner myself I’ve been right there and I'm here to give you the pep talk you need to get started. Here are my top reasons why you should totally go for it and let your creativity run wild.
1.Unleash Your Creative Side:
- So, you've got this crazy cool vision in your head, right? You've seen other creatives become successful and are interested in a slice of the pie? Starting your own handmade gig is the ultimate way to let that creativity burst out of you like confetti. Whether you're into painting, jewellery-making, or some other crafty wizardry, creating stuff with your hands is like therapy, but with the bonus of making beautiful things others can enjoy too. Your small handmade biz is like your personal art canvas – a place where you can let loose, experiment, and show the world what you're made of.
- Follow Your Passion, Not Just the Paycheck:
- Starting your own small handmade business isn't just about paying the bills; it's about turning what you love into your daily grind. Take a cue from my handmade business, Luna Ray Jewellery, which sprouted from reigniting my love for art and design during the lockdown chaos. Your passion can be your paycheck, and that's a game-changer. Imagine waking up stoked to dive into a day filled with your favorite craft while also making money from it. That's the dream, right? Well, guess what? You can totally make it a reality.
- Stand Out with Your Unique Product:
- In a world heaving with mass-produced stuff, handmade creations are like a breath of fresh air that catch people’s attention. Starting your own small handmade business lets you stand out in a sea of generic, boring products. Everything you create with your hands or even brand with your own stamp is going to be something unique and never seen before to a potential customer out there.
- Go Green and Feel Good:
- Sustainability is the cool kid on the block, and small handmade businesses are leading the charge. This is one of the focus points of my handmade business – I make it my mission to use eco-friendly materials, repurposing, and wrapping things up in planet-loving packaging. Starting your own handmade gig lets you rock the green lifestyle while making products you love, and rest assured others will too. Whether it's using recycled materials, minimizing waste, or adopting ethical practices, you get to be a part of this sustainability movement. And trust me, feeling good about what you're doing is priceless.
- Be the Boss of Your Own Adventure:
- No more 9-to-5 grind, woohoo! Launching your own small handmade business means you get to call the shots. Luna Ray Jewellery kicked off in my garden shed while I was slogging through a full-time sales job that really wasn't lighting the fire in my belly. Now following my passion and focusing every day on my business often doesnt really feel like ‘work’ to me. You don't need a fancy storefront or a huge budget to make it a success, just a lot of determination and hard work. The best thing about working for yourself is being your own boss, the independence of deciding when to work, experimenting with new ideas, and following your own path toward creative success. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot involved in starting your own business and making it a success, but it's so worth every second of the hustle!